A Pretty Epic Year

Wednesday 11 May 2016

This was originally posted on my former blog, mysleepyfairytale.wordpress.com on 31st December, 2015.

Goodbye 2015, what a crazy year you were! Although I haven't done a lot of blogging lately, a lot has happened in my life and I can happily say that I am leaving the year a completely different - and better - person than I entered it.
The Film Academy crew. See if you can spot me! (Thanks for that, Haider)
March - The Film Academy crew. See if you can spot me! (Thanks for that, Haider)

It's absolutely bonkers to me that this time last year, I was panicking about an A-Level drama performance that felt like it was going nowhere - but that I later passed with flying colours. Back then, I was just beginning to have doubts about the Creative Writing degree I'd applied for, and the BFI Film Academy course was creeping up on me with every passing day as I remained oblivious to just how life-changing it would be. I didn't know half the people I know now. Everything was scary and intimidating. I had no independence. I was a different person. Before, the world was too big for me but now I've grown to fit the world a little bit more.
Family trip (minus Tom) to Conwy Castle.
April - Family trip (minus Tom) to Conwy Castle.

Last year, I made this post about my new year's resolutions. This year, I'm not making any resolutions because for the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm completely happy with who I am. This is a huge deal for me. I've always been self-conscious, caring too much about trivial things like my weight and what people thought of me. Over summer, I lost a lot of weight but even if I put it all back on now, I'd still be happy, and I've realised that what people think of me really doesn't matter. I am happy with how I look and who I am.
September - The girls (minus Georgie) from my first flat during Freshers.
September - The girls (minus Georgie) from my first flat during Freshers.

I think the main reason for this is university. To say that going to uni at all was a last minute decision is an understatement, and I truly believe that had I not gone, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now. I've only done one semester so far, but already uni has given me more opportunities and experiences than I could have imagined. Just surviving on my own has given me a huge confidence boost. When you're forced to be independent, you have to push your anxieties and fear aside and just go for it. And being thrust into a new city on the other side of the country where I know absolutely no one would have seemed like a nightmare to me last January - or even last August  - but now I could happily walk into a group of strangers and make friends. If I ever need to, that is.
November - Out with my new housemates on my birthday. Such a good night!
November - Out with my new housemates on my birthday. Such a good night!

My last uni update was back in September, and even more things have changed since then. I moved into a different halls of residence. When I took the first accommodation, I was told that I had to find somewhere new by December as the international students would then move in. So, the race was on for us to find somewhere else to live. I literally couldn't have made a better decision when I chose this place. I don't know if any of my new housemates will read this but there's a good chance they will so I won't make this too soppy. I'll just say that from the moment I first set foot in this place, they welcomed me like family and I'm so glad I know them now. I'll also say that before I moved in, I barely drank any alcohol. Now, thanks to them, I can probably be found lying on the stairs most Wednesday nights. Thanks a lot, guys.
December - the Morledge family takeover at Disneyland.
December - the Morledge family takeover at Disneyland.

Of course, the year hasn't been all smiles, laughter and drunk antics. My final few months of college brought me a whole lot of stress and anxiety, and there was the terrifying few weeks at the beginning of summer when I passed out in hospital and the doctor said I'd had a seizure. But hey, if you're gonna have a seizure anywhere, a hospital is probably the best place to have it! Even if it was the night before one of my exams. The beginning of uni was a difficult time too, when I wasn't sure of anything, didn't know anyone and missed home like hell. But clearly, as things have a tendency of doing, everything turned out alright.

And there are even more things to look forward to in 2016. First and foremost, my beautiful older sister is having a baby. We're all so excited and I can't wait to meet my little niece in April. Our family is going to make her the most loved little girl in the world. As well as that, we're also going on holiday In the summer, straight off the back of this Christmas's Disneyland trip, which is a whole other blog post in itself. And, of course, there's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them coming out in November. It's all a Harry Potter fangirl can do to stay sane for so long. Well, as sane as I already am, at least.
Christmas day 2015. Surrounded by family and full of food.
Christmas day 2015. Surrounded by family and full of food.

All in all, 2015 has been a pretty epic year for me, and I hope it's been just as brilliant for you. I am so grateful to my family and friends - old and new - for being there for me when I needed you. Thank you to all of my housemates and coursemates. All of you are fantastic.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS